Wednesday 13 April 2011

Tasks for Online Teachers




Although online teaching can and should be as high-quality and effective- as on-site education/training, some professionals are better suited than- others to working online. Online educators need to facilitate individuals’- learning; bring together students with diverse interests, skills, and needs- to form learning communities; clearly state expectations and maintain high- standards; be adaptable in regards to learners’ needs; communicate clearly- and effectively; and enjoy working with the Internet.-

Facilitate Individuals’ Learning-

Teaching online is sometimes like being a coach or a cheerleader. You need- to help learners develop strategies for working efficiently on their own and- gaining the information and skills they need to complete the course (and,- you hope, apply the information to their lives or careers). In academic- settings, new online learners may need you to be part of their educational- support network, to provide encouragement as they return to school after- a long absence and work with a newer medium.- Facilitating individuals’ learning also means that you continue to develop- teaching materials and find ways to help learners find information in a- format to meet their learning preferences and learning or personality styles.- Although you might not be able to meet every student’s preference with- every activity, across the course and the curriculum there are a number- of different activities designed to help people who best learn with differing- methods.-

Individual needs also may include learners who are widely separated- geographically from other learners and need assistance in connecting with- other people going through the same program. You may encounter- communication problems, because learners are in different time zones, and- their work or travel schedules may preclude finding convenient times for- synchronous communication. Learners also may vary in their skill levels- and physical abilities, which require innovative teaching or training- approaches to provide information and activities in usable formats.- Instead of being the source of information for learners, you are the guide- who directs learners to resources, oversees progress, and initiates groups- and activities to help people learn.-

Form Learning Communities-

You also need to make learners feel a part of a larger group and develop- activities to bring learners together in meaningful ways. Learning communities,- small and large, are an important component of successful online- education. By socializing learners to the online environment, you help- them connect with others to discuss ideas and share information.-

State Expectations and Maintain Standards-

Online learners are very focused on their educational needs and want clear- statements of what is expected from them in the course. They prefer- standards be outlined at the beginning of the course, so they can measure- their progress and understand how their performance will be evaluated.- Clear expectations and the consistent application of standards are important- to online learners, and you must consistently stand up for the stated- objectives, expectations, and outcomes for the course.- In an academic course, learners also should be expected to be critical- thinkers who discuss information with other learners and the teacher,- develop interests that may not have a direct bearing on their careers, and- learn to find and evaluate additional sources of information that can help- them continue their education on their own. These types of objectives- should be explained and encouraged by the teacher; they may be part of- the stated course objectives, but they are far more difficult to measure. As- the facilitator/guide, you must ensure that discussion, debate, and critical- thinking are parts of an effective online academic course.-

Be Adaptable-

Because you work with technology, you must be able to learn to use a course- Web site, update materials, troubleshoot basic problems, and feel comfortable- learning new computer skills quickly. Technology changes rapidly, and- you must feel comfortable working with new tools and information designs.- As well, you need to be adaptable to learners’ needs, so that you can explain- assignments or activities in different terms, possibly for international- audiences, and help individuals succeed in the course. Flexibility and- adaptability are important traits for any online teacher.-

Communicate Clearly and Effectively-

Although more multimedia are becoming available for online courses, most- online communication with learners in academic programs will be written.- You may occasionally use videoconferencing or audio files to present- information or discuss topics with learners, but primarily you are going to- be sending lots of e-mail, posting bulletin board messages, keyboarding- comments in a printed chat session, and drawing or writing on a- whiteboard.- It is imperative for you to communicate quickly, clearly, cleanly, and- correctly to everyone, but you should especially be careful to craft- information for international audiences. You need to be sensitive to the- nuances of language, as well as different cultural expectations for different- types of messages.- Your written communication must be a model for your learners’ written- work. Because written communication may be studied and interpreted long- after you send it, your communication must be able to stand up to scrutiny- by a variety of readers.- When you use multimedia, you need effective presentation skills. You- should be interesting for learners to hear, as well as precise and clear with- your message. Your speaking rate, word choice, and enunciation are crucial- to learners’ understanding. You also need the ability to think on your feet- as you respond spontaneously to questions and comments.-

Enjoy Working with the Internet-

You must enjoy using the Internet. Learners use it often, and you should- keep up with trends in design and information. You should feel comfortable- browsing the Web for new information for your courses, and you need the- skills quickly to find information stored in potentially millions of sites and- databases. You need to be familiar with a variety of search engines and be- able to help learners differentiate among appropriate search engines for- their work. You have to be an efficient online researcher and, ideally, a- competent information designer who keeps up with usable educational- interfaces and technologies. If you are going to work online, you have to- enjoy your working environment and be able to discuss Internet news with- learners.-

The following checklist of statements may help you assess your competence- in each area. Ideally, you should be able to check each box. Of course, every- teacher identifies strengths and weaknesses within such a checklist. You- want to evaluate your overall suitability for facilitating an online- curriculum. By using this checklist each time you work with an online- course, you can continue to monitor your progress as an online teacher- or trainer and point out areas of excellence, as well as skills that need- improvement.

Facilitate Individuals’ Learning

- I develop information to meet the needs of learners with different learning styles.
- I develop information that is accessible to learners with different abilities.
- I follow guidelines, such as those set by the W3 Consortium or my institution for making course materials accessible in different formats on the Internet.
- I consider learners’ work schedules, time zones, and geographic locations when I set up times for required synchronous activities.
- I provide a variety of dates and times for required synchronous activities.
- I consider learners’ level of technical expertise when I develop assignments and activities.
- I provide a variety of group and individual activities.
- I consider the availability of computer technology and learners’ access to the Internet as I develop assignments and activities.
- I help learners locate information on the Internet.
- I help learners locate information on the course site.
- I explain assignments, activities, and course information in terms that all learners can understand.
- I provide (an appropriate amount of) special assistance or additional individual guidance to learners who are having difficulty with the course.
- I provide additional information or support to learners who want to do more than what is required for the course.

Form Learning Communities

- I participate in professional (external/outside the institution, business, or course) learning communities for teachers.
- I participate in learning communities within each class I facilitate.
- I require group activities.
- I monitor group activities.
- I facilitate the development of learning communities that are not required for a group project.
- I communicate with all learners in a course at least once a week.
- I assist learners in communicating with each other.
- I create bulletin board, e-mail, and other print communication that can serve as models of effective, positive, and grammatically correct business communication.
- I create a positive, professional persona for synchronous communication, through chat sessions, phone calls, videoconferences, or other “in-person” communication.

State Expectations and Maintain Standards

- I state course objectives at the course site.
- I provide on the course site a schedule of deadlines and due dates for assignments and activities.
- I explain on the course site the grading or evaluation criteria for the course and individual assignments or activities.
- I state at the course site all expectations for performance and achievement.
- I maintain the stated standards throughout the course.
- I serve as a role model who meets deadlines and consistently adheres to course standards and expectations.
- I encourage learners to discuss their course performance and achievements with me.
- I work with learners individually and as a class to help them succeed in the course.
- I encourage questions from learners.
- I provide suggestions for improving assignments or completing activities.
- I am available several times a week for consultation.
- I post grades or complete performance evaluations quickly.
- I quickly provide feedback about learners’ assignments, activities, and overall performance.

Be Adaptable

- I work with learners individually to help them meet deadlines and complete assignments.
- I work with learners to help them schedule activities within their course, work, and life schedules.
- I can adapt the schedule within the standards established for the course.
- I can provide learners with additional materials or explanations to help them modify assignments and activities appropriately for their career or professional needs.
- I can direct learners to other professionals within the institution who may help with specific problems or needs.

Communicate Clearly and Effectively

- I write grammatically correct, clear, and well-organized messages and documents.
- I analyze the recipient(s) of my communication so that I meet their information needs.
- I vary my communication style to fit the situation.
- I speak clearly and precisely in audio/visual communication.
- I speak at an understandable rate in audio/visual communication.
- I am enthusiastic and positive in my communication.
- I am professional in my communication.
- I maintain a professional but friendly persona through my communication.

Enjoy Working with the Internet

- I feel comfortable using a variety of search engines on the Web.
- I send e-mail frequently and efficiently.
- I post bulletin board messages frequently and efficiently.
- I use the whiteboard in lectures and other course activities.
- I direct discussions in chat rooms.
- I post grades to an online gradebook or complete performance evaluations online.
- I participate in videoconferences or conference phone calls.
- I participate in online groups, through newsgroups, mailing lists, and chats.
- I upload and download information easily.
- I locate electronic materials for my courses.
- I design or assist in designing course materials.
- I design Web pages.
- I maintain the course site or another Web site.
- I learn to use new software as it becomes available for learners and teachers.
- I keep up with Internet-related news, such as virus warnings, announcements of new services, and trends in technology.
- I participate in Internet-related workshops.
- I share Internet-related information with colleagues.
- I like working online.
- I encourage learners to take online courses because I believe in the benefits of online education and training.

No comments:

Post a Comment